1/10/13

Why God? (Part One)

Disclaimer: I do not know a lot about science, and I will not pretend to. If I learned one thing in my many years of school it is that I do not know much about any one thing. So just to be fair, I wanted to let everybody know that I have no background in science, and I do not know many of the scientific details beyond what I am saying here.

Some people, when they read my previous post, may think that I have lost my mind to frivolous hope in an unseen and untouchable God. They may think that my mind is weak and that I live with no logic or reason. And if some of you do think this I understand entirely.

It is a hard to thing to imagine a Being that exists, that cannot be touched, seen, heard or felt (at least in how we commonly sense these things), let alone say that you have completely devoted your life to His fame and glory. It sounds insane. It sounds delusional. And for many years I, myself, had great difficulty in truly believing that God existed. So why do I now fully believe? What has convinced me so deeply that I would publicly declare that I am follower, a believer, a worshiper of Christ? These are obvious and important question to ask so...

Simply put, I have "given my life" to God because I believe He exists. This may sound confusing, but if I did not believe in His existence then why would I ever devote my life to His service? I suppose then the question becomes even simpler--Why do I believe God is real?

Mainly, because I can see Him in nature. Not just the wind blowing or how the leaves turn up when it is about to rain, but the deep down molecular nature that man has only begun to discover over the past century.

Here is a slightly cheesy, but seriously incredible video of just one tiny aspect of what goes on in every one of us. This is happening in your body. It is mind blowing and beautiful.




When I see this video my mind is blown. I see a truly intelligent Being's masterful design. All of these microscopic structures are working together to build your body, protein by protein. It is like a huge organization working as one to build something unique and awe-inspiring.  

Now consider how every person, animal, insect, bird, and fish are different, yet we all share extremely similar traits. Most every macro-organism has a head, eyes, ears, a face, limbs, and organs. This may point to similar ancestry, but what if it (also) points to design. If we were all made by the same Creator, would we all not have similar traits? 

Look at how the earth sustains itself. The earth provides itself with the water it needs through rain. The rain gives life to plants, animals, and people. It soaks into the earth and sustains life. It drains into rivers, seas, and oceans, where the sun takes the water back into the atmosphere and repeats the cycle. This happens over and over so that life can exist. Look at the greater picture--our planet. How it is perfectly set on the only course that could allow life. The climate would be too extreme if we were any closer or any further  away.

What about our universe? Many of us have seen videos like this (this one is especially creepy, ending in a peculiar invitation to believe in ET), but it is insanely awesome at the same time. Try to sit through the whole thing, and you will realize how absolutely enormous this universe is.



I felt invisible when I heard him say that it takes 10 billion years moving at the speed of light to travel to the known edge of the universe. I believe the vastness, and the unknowable, incomprehensible  beauty of the beyond colossal universe points to an all knowing and even-greater-than-the-universe God.

All of the incredible, awe inspiring, glorious nature that exists in us and around us is (in my opinion) proof that God truly exists.  I believe that all of the beauty, wonder, and mystery that surrounds our lives is the result of intelligent creation. I believe it is all too incredible to have merely happened one day by chance and accident. I believe in God. 

These are some of the reasons I believe that God exists. But what part does logic play in my decision? Have I actually thought about all of the aspects of how we got here? What about all of the scientific evidence that points to things like the Big Bang Theory, and the idea of evolution? Do these things not need to be considered since so much thought has been put into them? All of these questions are important, and they do affect how people see God and the creation of the universe.

 And that's why you should read part two. Coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Post it here!