1/18/14

have no other: part one



In the church we often talk about idols. Idols are often described in the church as, “things that we put before God,” or maybe “anything that is more important to you than God.” When I hear or read this I get a little confused because this definition doesn’t line up with reality.

I don’t think that I’m mindfully putting anything before God. I don’t actually think that there are things that are more important than God. This idea of ‘more important’ seems like nonsense to me. 

Who does this knowingly? I would bet that it is almost no one. No one is sitting there and thinking, “You know . . . Will and Grace is funny (seriously, no one thinks this).” They aren't sitting there saying, “I really like watching Will and Grace. Will and Grace I am now going to worship you. You two goofy chaps are now my god. Where do I put the tithe money?” 

Who does that? There might be a crazy fan or two out there that has done this, but no one really thinks like this. So then, why do I always hear about idols in such a manner? Why do I always think about idols as things taking over the throne of God in such a blatant and obvious manner? 

Well, because this is how it has been and is being taught, but this teaching doesn’t line up with how I see reality, and I can bet that it probably doesn’t line up with yours either. 

My reality with what the Bible describes as ‘idols’ is far less dramatic than the idea of making something more important than God. In my life, ‘idols’ are far more subversive. Let’s throw out a working definition of ‘idols’ and their relation to actual life. 

Idol - A distraction that starts off as innocent, but ultimately begins to pull one's attention, time, and resources away from purpose, truth, and God.

In simple terms, an idol is a like a cat toy. 

A cat is on a mission to destroy a stink bug that has made it in through the back door. He's crouching, sneaking and being a complete weirdo about this stink bug. He slinks, slanks, and slunks around the house until he annoys you into being a dog person. 

At this point, you grab the cat toy -- a ball hanging off of a string. You let the toy swing in front of the cat…it catches his eye. You see the decision making process fill the mind of the cat as he glances back and forth between the toy and the corner where he's sure he has cornered this stink bug (the same stink bug that you threw out a half an hour ago). 

Finally, the cat gives in and swats the toy...the cat likes this. The toy is easier than the stink bug, and this ball isn't hiding in a corner under a pile of blankets and magazines. The cat goes all in and pummels the toy for three minutes, until he gets bored and forgets all about the toy and the stink bug. He goes arrogantly on his way, completely ignorant of his previous mission to hunt and kill the stink bug. And you feel great, having distracted your cat from being an annoying jerk for another hour.

This is how I see idols in my life. I have purpose, direction, motivation, and determination in my heart to chase after Christ, and then the cat toy of Hulu swings in front of my vision. I ignore it for a moment until I see that there's a new episode of Parks and Rec. At this point, I go all in. I’m checking out all of the new episodes of all of the shows (even those stupid Australian comedies that Hulu touts as ‘original’). When I finally get to the end of the sloppy TV barrel, I forget how I got there and what I was doing before. I often continue a search for more TV because I have watched everything Hulu has to offer. I open up Netflix, I rent movies, I buy a new device that gives me more options. I get sucked further and deeper into the TV/movie mess without realizing a whole week of my life has gone by, totally devoid of accomplishment. 

This is how I see an idol. Something that slips in from the side, and eventually takes over my time, thoughts, and resources. Somehow, entertainment has wiggled itself into a place of prominence in my heart, and by simple observation we can see that this has practically become more important to me than God (in that moment). 

Even so, I didn’t thrust God off of his throne. I didn’t mindfully replace God with something else. I simply allowed myself, my time, and often my money, to be taken over by a simple and immediately gratifying distraction -- a cat toy. 

I believe that we do this constantly and in a variety of ways (not just TV and movies...video games, or Facebook anyone?). I believe that even though we would never admit it, our hearts are always running to something else, and that we are far too easily satisfied. 
 
It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased. - C.S. Lewis

We are going to (at times) replace something with God. We are always creating idols in this manner. Idols are subversive, sneaky, and real. But we don’t have to live there. I believe that God can save from even the most distracting episode of the Office, and I believe that deepest Joy can be found in Christ.


What ‘mud pie’ is keeping you from joy?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Post it here!